Sunday, August 20, 2006

Epilog

The ride is over. It has been an incredible adventure. This something that I will remember for the rest of my life. I have had a wonderful time writing the blog although it has been almost impossible at times to put into words the joy, beauty, laughter, disapointment, stark terror, apprehension, appreciation, peace, camaraderie, solitude, freedom, and blessings that I have felt. Even so, I hope that everyone who has been a reader has in some way felt as if they were there with us.



Thank You

I wish to express thanks first and foremost to Our Lord for His grace and mercy, both to those of us on the journey that was "The Ride for Paul and Tabitha" and to all of us on the journey of life. I thank Him for protecting us and returning us all safely home. I give Him the credit for all things experienced on the trip, both perceived by us as "good" or "bad", as they were all lessons in His nature, blessings, and love.

Thanks to all of the contributors and those who have pledged for mileage. By the way......if you are reading this and have not yet contributed, or if you know of someone who would enjoy reading this blog after the fact, please click on "August 2006" under "Archive" on the right side of the main blog page. Scroll down to the "Thanks to Contributors" post on August 3, 2006. All of the information is there to make a donation. I will continue to accept donations for Paul and Tabitha until it becomes obvious that there are no more donations forthcoming.

For those who have pledged on mileage, I will be contacting you........

Thanks to the woman on Pike's Peak who unselfishly helped us with a ride all of the way back to our hotel.

Thank you to the man who made the anonymous contribution at the Harley dealership in New Mexico.

Thanks to Thunder Mountain Harley-Davidson in Loveland, Colorado for their over-the-top efforts to fabricate parts and get us back on the road when Mark had a brake system issue.

Thanks to Santa Fe Harley-Davidson for making an on-the-spot replacement of my crash bars.

Thanks to everyone whose hearts and minds were with us on the trip.

Thanks also to all who made comments to the blog.


Statistics

  • Total number of miles ridden: 5,474
  • Number of days on the road: 15
  • Number of days making forward progress: 14
  • Approximate gallons of gas (just for me) : 135
  • Approximate gas cost (just for me) : $425.00
  • Crashes involving cars: 1
  • Crashes involving sleet, hail, and ice: 5 or 6 (maybe with some therapy, I can remember the exact number of times we crashed on Pike's Peak!)
The mileage was a little less than anticipated because we were down for travel for one full day in Santa Fe to relax and visit with my brother and his family. We lost the better part of a day due to Rick's crash in Nebraska, and we lost close to a day with the Pike's Peak fiasco.

Observations

  • 75 - 80 mph is slow
  • Laptop computers are wonderful for checking weather and making the next night's hotel reservations. Good for blogging too.
  • Digital cameras - can't do without them!
  • Windshields on motorcycles are a must. I can't imagine catching that many bugs with my face.
  • Harley-Davidson Fuel injection does not like extreme altitude.
  • Most hotels have laundry facilities....pack lighter next time.
  • UPS stores are great for lightening your load....just ship it home!
  • Worst Drivers: Tennessee (Dishonorable mention: Santa Fe)
  • Friendliest people: Nebraska
  • Biggest outbound disappointment: Gateway Arch area in St. Louis
  • Biggest inbound disappointment: Having to skip the Blue Ridge Parkway due to time.
  • Most beautiful outbound scenery: Black Hills of South Dakota and Rocky Mountain National Park
  • Most beautiful inbound scenery: Coming back to Virginia!!!
  • Number of inappropriate encounters with cars: One (Rick's crash in Nebraska)
  • Number of near misses with cars: Numerous in Tennessee!
  • Most frightening moment: Coming down Pike's Peak in hail and lightning. (honorable mention: thunder and lightning storms in New Mexico)
  • Second most frightening moment: Going up Pike's Peak in a hail and lightning storm!
  • Where we felt most welcome: Nebraska
  • Friendliest HD dealership: Thunder Mountain HD in Loveland, Colorado.
  • Most clueless HD dealership: St. Joe HD in St. Joseph, Missouri. They were closed while thousands of bikers were en route to and from Sturgis.

It has been a pleasure. If anything new comes up, I will make the appropriate new entries.

Thanks Again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home